What we do
The Medicines Support Team provide support for people in their home and operates as part of ELHT Pharmacy Services.
We work with people on a personal level to make sure that the management of medicines at home is safe and effective.
People referred to the service are usually people with a long term condition or who may be housebound with limited access to community pharmacies.
The service provides education and support to help people understand why they need to take their medicines; and support for those who may be experiencing problems either taking or remembering to take their medicines.
Making sure people get the right dose of medication at the right time will benefit health. We promote independence with medicines, which helps to prevent avoidable GP appointments and hospital admissions.
The service also provides support and advice for health professionals and social care staff that may require advice with medicines related issues.
- Visits to people in their own home
- Routine support for those admitted to the Virtual Ward Service
- Pre-arranged visits, arranged with the person or if appropriate a relative or carer with consent
- Opportunities for people to discuss their medicines, share their views and any problems experienced with medicines. With the individuals consent, carers and/or professionals involved in the persons care may be present during the visit to provide support
- Answers to questions that may be asked about medication
- Medication review to make sure medicines are suitable for the condition
- Communication with the GP and professionals involved before visiting to offer the best support and after visiting to make sure recommendations are acted on
- Written reports to the GP following the visits detailing medicines related issues, recommendations and concerns as discussed and agreed with the individual during the visit and notification on discharge from the service
- Help in setting up systems so that medicines can be safely managed at home
- Help in arranging for adaptations to be made in the way medicines are provided so that people can use their medicines effectively
- Signposting to other health and recognised support services if needed
- Follow up visits according to identified needs and to provide support and review of changes made
The service is:
- Available to people registered with a GP practice in the East Lancashire Clinical Commissioning Group (C.C.G.)
- Provided to people in their own homes
01282 803165 – Senior Pharmacy Technician – Service Lead
01282 803338 – Administration
Service hours are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays.
Medicine Support Team referral form (Please note: you must download this form to your computer and then complete the saved version)
If you do not receive email confirmation after submitting a Referral Form, please email MedicinesSupportTeam@elht.nhs.uk for advice.