We provide high quality healthcare services primarily to the residents of East Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen, which have a combined population in the region of 530,000.
As well as being fit and active, it is important to optimise lung capacity pre-surgery as this can help with your recovery post surgery. This can be achieved by completing hourly deep breaths (5-10 per hour) when awake.
Take a deep breath in through your nose, hold for a few seconds and then breathe out through your mouth slowly.
How to use an incentive Spirometer: If deemed appropriate you may be given an incentive spirometer pre or post surgery to help with increasing your lung capacity.
6. If the indicator does not stay in between the arrows then you are breathing either too fast or too slow
7. When you are unable to inhale anymore, hold your breath for a few seconds and check how high the piston reaches. Breathe out slowly
8. Rest for a few seconds
9. Complete 5-10 deep breaths
10. Put the marker at the level the piston reached on your incentive spirometer. This will be your goal for next time
11. Try to use the incentive spirometer every 2-3 hours when you are awake
Click here to go back to Preparing for Surgery.