What we do
Speech and Language Therapy is provided to adults across Pennine Lancashire in their own homes, in hospital and out patient clinics. Services are delivered by qualified and registered Speech and Language Therapists.
The service is open to people over 16 years of age who have acquired problems with speech, voice, language and/or swallowing, often as a result of an illness or surgical procedure. We also provide a service to some children with voice difficulties.
Speech and Language Therapy students from various universities gain clinical experience in the department, working under the supervision of experienced staff.
Adults with acquired disorders of communication and swallowing, including:
- Neurological conditions & progressive disease
- Acquired brain injury
- Adults with head & neck cancer
- Adults and children with voice disorders
- Assessment and therapy for communication difficulties, including provision of communication aids
- Assessment and therapy for swallowing difficulties, including videofluoroscopic assessment & FEES (Fibroptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing).
- Assessment and therapy for voice disorders, including group therapy and objective assessment
- Assessment and therapy for speech, voice and swallowing difficulties related to head and neck cancer, including laryngectomy management
Please note the following services are provided by Lancashire Care Foundation Trust:
- Blackburn with Darwen stroke team
- Babies and children in Royal Blackburn Hospital / Burnley General Hospital.
You can refer yourself to Speech and Language Therapy or can be referred by a medical consultant, your GP or another member of the hospital or community team.
Adults with acquired disorders of communication and swallowing:
- Community locations across East Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen
- East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Stroke Therapy Team
- Rakehead Community Neuro-rehabilitation Team
- Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital and Burnley General Hospital in-patients and out patients
- Pendle Community Hospital, Clitheroe Community Hospital, Accrington Victoria ComunityHospital in-patients
- Rakehead Rehabilitation Centre
Adults and children with voice disorders
Adults and children with voice disorders are seen at St Peter’s. The voice department at the Royal Blackburn Hospital see adults with the occasional child.
- St Peter’s Primary Health Care Centre
- Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital
The service operates between Monday to Friday, 9.00 am – 5.00 pm and operates an open referral system for adults with communication and swallowing difficulties.
The main Speech and Language Therapy department, East Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen Community teams – 01282 804075
St Peters Primary Healthcare Centre for Voice patients in East Lancashire: 01282 628359
Royal Blackburn Hospital for Voice patients in Blackburn with Darwen: 01254 732866
Please be aware all new Voice/head and neck referrals are made via the ENT Dept.
Dysphagia / swallowing information
|Dysphagia information||291 KB|
|Dysphagia in dementia||2051 KB|
|Confusion on swallowing||140 KB|
|Swallowing advice for dementia||170 KB|
|RCSLT care homes document.pdf||858.25 KB|
International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative
The way we describe modified diet/fluids for patients with swallowing problems is changing internationally. Please see the documents below for more information.
|IDDSI Framework - Complete Framework.pdf||1,787.36 KB|
|IDDSI Framework - Testing Methods.pdf||1,377.30 KB|
|IDDSI Frequently asked questions.pdf||298.37 KB|
|SLT IDDSI level 3 liquidised.pdf||236.03 KB|
|SLT IDDSI level 4 pureed.pdf||239.36 KB|
|SLT IDDSI level 5 minced and moist.pdf||410.52 KB|
|SLT IDDSI level 6 soft and bite sized.pdf||410.32 KB|
|SLT IDDSI level 7a.pdf||273 KB|
|New difficult foods||126 KB|
|IDSSI mixing instructions A4||101.1 MB|
|IDSSI mixing instructions A5||928 KB|
|IDSSI Christmas Guidance||350KB|
IDDSI Audit sheets
|Level 4-Puree audit sheet.pdf||268.60 KB|
|Level 5-Minced and Moist audit sheet.pdf||279.08 KB|
|Level 6-Soft and Bite-sized audit sheet.pdf||201.01 KB|
|Level-7 New Difficult Foods audit sheet||129 KB|
|Liquids audit sheet.pdf||325.97 KB|
|What is aphasia?||64.5 KB|
|Speech - Memory difficulties||221.47 KB|
|Speech - Dysarthria||141.72 KB|
|Speech - Cognitive difficulties||291.36 KB|
|Top 10 Voice Tips ELHT 2105.pdf||378 KB|
|Vocal Hygiene.doc||47 KB|
Adult SLT Referral Form - Please download this form to your computer and then complete the saved version. This form will not work if opened in the web browser!
1. Download the form to your device
2. Complete all Fields before submitting
3. Press the 'Save As' button, save in a secure folder and email as an attachment. Email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Any issues please contact the Speech and Language Therapy Service
If you do not receive email confirmation after submitting a Referral Form, please email email@example.com for advice.