What we do
Speech and Language Therapy is provided to adults across Pennine Lancashire in their own homes, in hospital and out patient clinics. Services are delivered by qualified and registered Speech and Language Therapists.
The service is open to people over 16 years of age who have acquired problems with speech, voice, language and/or swallowing, often as a result of an illness or surgical procedure. We also provide a service to some children with voice difficulties.
Speech and Language Therapy students from various universities gain clinical experience in the department, working under the supervision of experienced staff.
Services we provide
Adults with acquired disorders of communication and swallowing, including:
- Neurological conditions & progressive disease
- Acquired brain injury
- Adults with head & neck cancer
- Adults and children with voice disorders
- Assessment and therapy for communication difficulties, including provision of communication aids
- Assessment and therapy for swallowing difficulties, including videofluoroscopic assessment & FEES (Fibroptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing).
- Assessment and therapy for voice disorders, including group therapy and objective assessment
- Assessment and therapy for speech, voice and swallowing difficulties related to head and neck cancer, including laryngectomy management
Please note the following services are provided by Lancashire Care Foundation Trust:
- Blackburn with Darwen stroke team
- Blackburn with Darwen Intermediate care beds
- Babies and children in Royal Blackburn Hospital / Burnley General Hospital.
How to access the service
You can refer yourself to Speech and Language Therapy or can be referred by a medical consultant, your GP or another member of the hospital or community team.
Where to find us
Adults with acquired disorders of communication and swallowing:
- Community locations across East Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen
- East Lancashire Hospitals Trust Stroke Therapy Team
- Rakehead Community Neuro-rehabilitation Team
- Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital and Burnley General Hospital in-patients and out patients
- Pendle Community Hospital, Clitheroe Community Hospital, Accrington Victoria ComunityHospital in-patients
- Rakehead Rehabilitation Centre
Adults and children with voice disorders
Adults and children with voice disorders are seen at St Peter’s. The voice department at the Royal Blackburn Hospital see adults with the occasional child.
- St Peter’s Primary Health Care Centre
- Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital
The service operates between Monday to Friday, 9.00 am – 5.00 pm and operates an open referral system for adults with communication and swallowing difficulties.
The Main Speech and Language Therapy Department and East Lancashire Community Team at Burnley General Hospital - 01282 804075
Speech and Language Therapy Department and Blackburn with Darwen Community Team at Royal Blackburn Hospital - 01254 732866
St Peters Primary Healthcare Centre for Voice patients in East Lancashire: 01282 628359
Royal Blackburn Hospital for Voice patients in Blackburn with Darwen: 01254 732866
Please be aware all new Voice/head and neck referrals are made via the ENT Dept.