Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (OMFS) service in East Lancashire
We provide a comprehensive Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery service for our local population of approximately 530,000. We are a six Consultant led service across two hospitals, and offer service to Bolton. We have 3 specialty training surgeons, more than 4 senior grade surgeons and 6 junior doctors, who work under the 6 Consultants.
- We all undertake all routine oral surgery dentoalveolar procedures. We offer sub-specialty services in a number of areas:
- Head and neck cancer including free tissue microvascular reconstruction and uniquely transoral robot assisted surgery (TORS)
- Skin cancer and facial plastic surgery service places us in the top 4 OMFS units in the UK, offering skin cancer treatment to over 1000 patients per year
- Facial reanimation and cosmetic related surgery for pathological deformities.
- Orthognathic surgery including distraction osteogenesis. Joint planning with orthodontic specialists, and for obstructive sleep apnoea.
- Maxillofacial laboratory with 3D model printing service and digital surgical planning.
- Dental implants, oral and facial rehabilitation following cancer and trauma surgery
- Facial trauma management
- Full range of dentoalveolar surgery for adults and children
Excellent educational history, with trainees and students producing work leading to audit, presentations and publications. The unit participates in clinical trials and is developing several research strands, in particular, head and neck oncology.
How to access the service
GP or dentist referral; following emergency attendance to the hospital; internal referral between specialties; Acute referrals can be made to the On call doctor for Oral and Maxillofacial surgery 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Where to find us
Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital; main entrance, Level 2, Outpatient Dept
Burnley General Teaching Hospital; Casterton Avenue outpatients entrance, Area 1, Level 3, Outpatient dept
Mr GCS Cousin, Clinical Director for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Sister J Ryde, Ward Manager for Ward B14, Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital
Ward inpatients 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Outpatients Mon – Fri weekday working hours, closed weekends.
Inpatient treatment on ward B14 at Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital
Daycase surgery at both Blackburn and Burnley sites
Outpatient services at both Blackburn and Burnley sites