What we do
The Children’s Diabetes Service is a multi-professional service serving the population of East Lancashire. The core team comprises of:
- Three consultant paediatricians with a special interest in diabetes
- Six paediatric diabetes specialist nurses (DSN)
- Two paediatric dietitians with a special interest in diabetes
- Two paediatric psychologists
- A paediatric psychology practitioner
- A children’s health care assistant
- Dietetic support assistant
- Administrative assistant
- Three secretaries providing medical administrative support amongst other duties.
We are an approved centre for the RCPCH SPIN diabetes module for training in paediatric diabetes and often have a senior specialty trainee attached to our service. We have close links with colleagues in the adult diabetes service and have established a Transition Service for 16-19 year olds alongside one adult diabetologist, two adult DSNs and two dieticians in our transition clinics. These professionals have specifically allocated time funded by the paediatric service for transition.
The service supports a childhood population across Blackburn with Darwen, Burnley, Pendle, Rossendale and Hyndburn with an age range of 0 to 19. Currently we have over 297 patients registered with the service. We are also part of the North West Paediatric Diabetes Network.
The Childrens Diabetes Team in East Lancashire follow and adhere to the standards set out in the Best Practice Tariff for paediatric diabetes, introduced in April 2012.
The main aim of the Children’s Diabetes Service is to provide high quality, easily accessible, effective and cost efficient provision to the 0-19 population of Pennine Lancashire.
The team works to diabetes best practice guidance and other key national guidance where applicable, so that the children of East Lancashire receive optimal care appropriate to their individual needs in a safe, effective and personalised service. The team have an interest in innovative job planning to suit the needs of children and young people with diabetes.
- To deliver high quality diabetes outpatient care including diagnosis, initial support and on going care for children and their families.
- To support children in community, home and school settings where appropriate.
- To provide acute assessment and treatment for children and young people.
- To provide personalised structured education programmes for children and young people.
- To deliver standards highlighted in diabetes best practice guidance.
- To provide 24 hour access to advice for children and young people with diabetes.
- To work in line with Department of Health guidance: Making every young person with diabetes matter; NICE guidance: CG15: Diagnosis and management of type 1 diabetes in children, young people and adults and TA151 Diabetes – insulin pump therapy.
Philosophy of care
East Lancashire NHS Trust wishes to offer an excellent service to all children and young people with diabetes and their parents and carers. We will do this by delivering high quality care that delivers excellent clinical outcomes that are provided by a multi-disciplinary team that empowers the patient and their parents and carers.
- The service must support the needs of children, young adults and their parents
- The service must take into account individual needs
- Cultural and language needs must be addressed
- The services must be multidisciplinary and involve both paediatric and young person’s diabetes teams and any other parties involved in the care of the child and adolescent
- The service must be age and developmental stage appropriate
- The service must undergo continued evaluation.
How to access the service
Referrals come from GPs and the Childrens Observation and Assessment Unit.
We also get referrals from other districts for children who have moved into our area.
Where to find us
Our office is based at
First Floor, Dr’s residence
Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital
Team leaders - Vicky Phillips and Clair Kneale
Matron - Mandy Chillingworth
Clinical Lead - Dr Chris Gardner
Dr Chris Gardner - (Sec) 01254 732789
Dr Ana Del Rio - (Sec) 01254 732638
Dr Wayne Thornton - (Sec) 01254 732878
Diabetes Nurse Specialists - 01254 732558
Emotional Wellbeing Team - 01254 732558
Liz Voyle- Emotional Wellbeing Practitioner
Laura Nicholson – Clinical Psychologist
Diabetes Team Administrator
Diabetes Dietitians - 01254 732463
Diabetes Dietetic Assistants
Research Nurses - 01254 732643
Call 01254 732558
Monday to Friday 8am - 5pm